Lillian Wood Photography

Let Your Photos Tell The Story

Nature Is My Favorite Movie & Music


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

PHOTOS & HISTORY OF OUR VILLAGE VIENNA ONTARIO ! part 1

I went out for a walk with Miggy and took some photos of our village, there are so many abandon buildings on main street its sad. I wish our village could restore these buildings and get business going in them again, the reason for this abandonment was that back in the 1800's there were two huge floods and a fire that  wiped a lot of the village and store owners out and they never returned !
DSC_0022
  The Edison Museum !

VIENNA
a small Ontario village with a long history


Vienna, Ontario, is located on the banks of the Big Otter Creek, and has been described as "a blink of a town"!
According to the last census - "Vienna is a small town of 566 residents in the Otter Valley"
This village has a history dating back to 1811, but its main claim to fame is that it was the birth place of one of the Grandfathers of Thomas Alva Edison - inventor of the electric light-bulb. Vienna - Thomas Edison
Thomas Edison was a prolific inventor and held over 1,000 patents.
While reading a Biography of this amazing man, I was gratified to learn that he only attended school for a period of about three months, and other than that he was educated at home by his mother - wow - Thomas Edison was Home-Schooled!

 DSC_0040DSC_0032
What was onceVienna Library !
DSC_0033
DSC_0066
Small community Legion !
DSC_0064
DSC_0063
St . Luke's Anglican Church !DSC_0060 
Main street!DSC_0034
Our local building centre !  These are nice folk who run it !
   photos of  part 2 later !  
photos take by Elaine !





12 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Elaine and Ken...love your little town and that bit of history ...so very interesting!!
Amazing what we take for granted " that light bulb".....thanks for this post great stuff!!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You

~Ron

Lisa said...

Very intersting . I love history and older building and we just dont have many in my area any more. Everyone is building new and I like the old. Go figure.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting about the Edison's..I alway enjoy History! Looks like friendly people at the lumber yard..:)

Anonymous said...

The building you stated to be the Ligion is actually the Masonic Hall which house the Vienna Lodge and the Port Burwell Lodge.

Unknown said...

The Masonic Hall in Vienna was once the Catholic Church. It was never a Legion.

Anonymous said...

I spent my early years in Vienna and one of the most colourful local characters was the town barber Earl Smyth. One of his famous observations was "the reason Vienna never grows in population is because for every person born... someone leaves town!" Good ol'Earl...

Anonymous said...

I lived in Vienna as a young girl. My grandparents and great grand parents also lived there. They both served as post master in the post office for many years. I still consider Vienna to be my home town. It has changed much over the years and I would certainly love to see it grow and flourish again as it once did. I too remember Earl and loved him dearly

Gone Country said...

Cute village! I would love to see all small towns get revitalized and the main streets booming with businesses.

Thanks for sharing your village with me!

Heather Dee said...

Could you find out when the last flour mill at Vienna closed down - my grt grandfather worked there. I am told the millstones are located near the entrance to the Edison Cemetery. The mill was known as the Edison Haney Mill. I see the Museum is closed or I would have tried there.
Love your photos - spent a lot of Sundays in Vienna when I was a kid.

Lillian said...

Hi Heather Dee
I can not respond to your Email as you have sent your ? about Vienna Ont via noreply-comment@blogger.com when emails are sent with this addy there can not be a response and I have no way of answering your email unless you send me your ? by your own personal email . I do appreciate your response and would like to respond to your question . This post was done many years ago and there is a book that we found out at the municipality of Bayham that is all about the history of Vienna Ontario I just dont know if there are still copies available to buy . Thanks again and sorry I can not respond unless you use your own email and send me your question again .

Heather Dee said...

My e-mail is fnhsilcox@sasktel.net. I would like to know when the flour mill in Vienna closed down. I have heard the mill stones are located near the entrance to the Edison Cemetery.